Talk to our experts about your requirements

All-Fill Powder Filling Machines & Technology

Powder filling machines come in a wide variety of shapes, sizes, filling principles and degrees of technical sophistication. All-Fill are at the technological forefront in the design of vertical auger powder filling machines. This represents a 95% volume of powder filling machines sold, the remaining 5% comprising; vacuum fillers, cup fillers and gravity fillers.

How fast can you fill on an auger?

This is dependent upon the flow and dusting characteristics of the powder. Typically, to achieve a reasonable accuracy without too much dust generation 1-2 kilos per second would be a normal maximum. In terms of containers per minute, speeds up to 400CPM are filled on our continuous motion rotary fillers. See our Technology Page for further details.

What is the dosing range for a standard filler?

The Series 10 can fill from 50mg to 25 kilos (and more). See Products Pages for other models.

What range of fill weights can be filled from each size of auger/funnel?

We would normally recommend a ratio of 5:1 to ensure that neither the accuracy of the smallest fill or speed of the largest fill is compromised

How many sets of tooling are generally required?
Wholly dependent upon the number and types of powders to be filled and the range of fill weights. Most ranges of powders fall into two categories; free-flowing and non-free-flowing, with a few intermediate semi-free-flowing, e.g. a normal range of spices would require two auger/funnel set types, possibly three. See Technology Page for further details.
What accuracy can be expected?

Accuracy is dependent upon many factors including powder characteristics, fill size, tooling size, speed, bulk feed system etc. Typically, we might expect ± 1% volumetrically, a little better for easy products, a little worse for more difficult ones.

What is the best accuracy that can be achieved?

Dependent upon the product, the fill weight, speed and the price one is prepared to pay for high accuracy. The micro-filler can fill ± 1mg on dose sizes up to 1g. With multi-stage filling, the Series 10 Gravimetric filler can fill 10kg to within 1g.

Why a bigger hopper?

Whenever it is important to maximise residence time of the powder within the hopper, i.e.:
• When fill weights are over 500g
• Powder having a tendency to aerate
• Bulk feed system which might tend to aerate the powder
• Applications where accuracy is critical and therefore consistent powder bulk density is essential.

80, 100, 120 and 400 litre hoppers are also available. Hoppers smaller than 38 litres, however, should not be used for anything other than micro/macro dosing (see Series 1 Micro-Filler and Series 5 Mini-Filler).

When would a gravimetric filling approach be necessary?

For powders of inconsistent bulk density, where high accuracy is required or where validation of the fill weight is needed. See our Technology Page for further details.

There seem to be many weigh-fill systems. Which is best?

Whether live weighing directly on a weigh-cell (gravimetric), upstream/downstream weighing, multi-stage weighing, multi-speed weighing, check weighing with feedback, the most appropriate is dependent upon the application. See our Technology Page for further details.

Is a mechanical valve required to ensure a clean cut-off?

No. Correct design of the auger/funnel and adequate residence time within the hopper ensures a clean cut-off of semi-free-flowing and non-free-flowing powders. Our free-flow tooling features a spinner disc to ensure clean cut-off. See our Technology Page for further details.

How long does a product changeover take?

The auger/funnel can be removed in c.30 seconds and re-fitted in similar time by an operator without tools. Hopper removal and replacement each take c. 2 minutes. A standard dry brush/cloth clean down of hopper, lid, auger drive shaft and agitation blade might take a couple of minutes. Allow 5-10 minutes total.

How is the hopper aligned for concentricity after removal?

The hopper is supported from a heavy duty casting via two stainless steel dowels and stainless steel lined dowel holes (not via the lid). Concentricity is therefore always guaranteed.

How is the filler hopper bulk fed?

The most frequently used methods are by hand via scoop, by gravity from overhead bulk bin (if product is free-flowing), via horizontal auger hopper feeder from overhead bulk bin (if non-free-flowing), by vacuum system from floor level drums or via inclined spiral/screw for easy-flow non-aerating products.